Monday 6 February 2012

Nepotism

I have two nephews and they were born within a few weeks of each other in January and February 1972. Consequently there was a joint 40th birthday party on Saturday night for all the extended family, and it does extend, believe me. It went down very well and it was great to see, and catch up, with so many of my own cousins there together with the more immediate usual suspects.

There were a few conversations, mainly with those I haven't seen for a while, about my ride and how training was going and what the hell are you playing at etc, and I vaguely remember near the end of the night, being informed that a few of "the lads" were coming over to meet up with me in Budapest, which will be a nice little interlude at about half way to Turkey. I checked my itinerary and found that I arrive there on a Tuesday which is no good at all. The choice then seemed to be slow down a bit or speed up a bit to arrive at a weekend. Predictably, I have decided to go for the latter, no, not because it's more of a challenge, but because I know that one or two can't make it the week after. It just adds 15 miles or so per day and still gives me rest days as planned, if I need them, that is.

Needless to say I was a bit hung over on Sunday but it was still quite icy and I didn't venture out. It was miserable and murky today at first and then the sun came out and it turned into a beautiful afternoon. I had to get out and do a bit. I packed a load of random stuff in the bags and did the Chorley ride of 19.2 miles. The bike was noticeably heavier but I still managed 12 mph plus which amazed me, but then I suppose the weight only really affects the uphill bits. There is also the possibility that I'm getting better at this game but I'm not too sure about that. I may have a ride tomorrow or may just go to the gym. Another 20 miles or so on Wednesday should see me right for the ride to Guiseley and back on Friday and Saturday. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment